08 October 2009

Ditties for Those Bitties

******************************************************
New Beyonce AKA Sasha Fierce single "Broken-Hearted Girl"
Alan Braxe Remix - Radio Edit
Alan Braxe Remix - Dub

and cuz I like you guys -
Laidback Luke treatment of Beyonce's "Me, Myself and I"

****************************************************

The King of Deep Sass-house, Derrick Carter NEVER disappoints!

What makes Derrick Carter so interesting as an artist and stand out as a powerhouse in the dance music industry? His talent for songwriting and production. What makes him stand out as a DJ? The style and ease with which he selects/mixes tracks during his live sets. Some adjectives that come to mind: flawless, funky, soulful, teasing, focused. Oh yeah, and there's this 'little' record label he ran called Classic Recordings. Heard of that? I hope so. They only released 100 tracks, as envisioned by Mr. Carter himself upon the inception of the label. Cool? Si. As a house DJ I think Classic is indispensable, treasured, and truly classic.

Personally, this 'army of one' has shaped the way I listen to music, the way I select records and my style of mixing. Derrick is not your average "I'm such a superstar international DJ". He keeps a low profile, and he has never used his influence to shamelessly self-promote the way some jocks do (ahem! I'm looking at YOU Europe/Australia blowhards). His sets, his label, and his recorded mixes are always showcasing not just his music, but music that has either been shaking asses for years, or will be shaking them for years to come. Some trivia that makes me love the guy even more - he doesn't OVER-USE the effects processor on the Pioneer CDJ when he plays live. You know those (C)DJs who think they can pull a fast one on the ears of their discerning audience by laying on the effects bravado extra-heavy. Barf. Derrick doesn't do that.

Here's a recent mix I really enjoyed because in it, we hear slamming house classics like "Feel my mother#*$@ing bass in your face!" blended with newer stuff that is sure to get serious play after having received the Derrick Carter seal of approval.
Derrick Carter - live at Bestival [Bollywood], Isle of Wight, Sunday 13th Sept '09 by Elite Music Management


This Roisin Murphy track is kinda old, but the twerk it has recently been given upgrades it to totally fresh & jacking. Check it out and let me know what you think. This one makes me wiggle!
Roisin Murphy - Ruby Bleu @ B.H.Q. (Derrick Carter remix)

And again, cuz I like you guys (and mostly cuz Derrick said it was OK ;)
LOVE THIS ONE. House heads should know it well -
2nd Shift - Somethin' Else (D's Disco Circus Revamp)

D's Wikipedia bio
Fan page on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment