08 October 2009

New Music for Sweater Weather

Jona Bechtolt ( @teamyacht on twitter, and 1/2 of the band Yacht) posted a tweet urging followers to check out the new song from a fellow Pacific N. Westerner-turned-Californian - Bobby Birdman.

BB's voice is amazing. He's what many might call a "crooner". We don't have many of them left in our auto-tuned & synthesized world except for Harry Connick Jr. and a few others. Put another way he kinda sounds like Sinatra, et al. but with a twinge of bittersweet melancholy and a pinch of pop. If he HAD a breakout track it would probably be "Gone Beyond" from the album Heart Caves
Bobby Birdman,Heart caves
though one of my personal favorites off the album (and what got me into BB in the first place) is the song "I Will Come Again." It's super-catchy, but somehow sounds familiar and well, joyful even though it's talking about what I assume must be reincarnation.

Now don't be confused - Bobby Birdman (AKA Robert Kieswetter) has been around for years. He has released 5 full length albums. He's been busy doing remixes and appearing on other artists' releases. But I've been following both of their careers, and it's really amazing to me that Bobby Birdman hasn't received the same amount of attention as for example, Yacht, whose album See Mystery Lights vaulted the now 2-person group to a more regal and mainstream status. Notoriety in music is a fickle thing, no? So often talented artists get overshadowed by other talented artists. But that's why I'm here, people - to maybe shed light on some gems that aren't on MTV or the Bravo Network (*yet*).

New Moods is the title of BB's much-anticipated album which is going to be released "Fall 2009" according to Rob's Myspace page http://www.myspace.com/bobbbirdman

Listen to/download the new Bobby Birdman track "Only For a While" here

I wish Rob TONS of success with New Moods. I know many people who are really excited to hear it. And I will not refuse an early Christmas present if Mr. Birdman wanted to advance me a demo of the LP ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment